It’s the most wonderful time of the year…
It’s hard to believe that we have less than 4 days until our Winterlude shows at the Wolf Performance Hall this Saturday and tickets are already more than 68% sold out! If you haven’t purchased your tickets yet, I strongly recommend that you purchase them in advance, via the Grand Theatre Box Office in person, by phone at 519-672-8800, or online at www.grandtheatre.com There is no limit on the number of tickets purchased per family, and you are welcome to invite your extended family and friends to share in your dancer’s accomplishments! Tickets have sold out in previous years.
Please take a few minutes to read though and take note of the important reminders listed below, so that all of the dancers (and parents) can relax and enjoy this special event in your dancer’s life!
All of the stage rehearsals and shows take place at the Wolf Performance Hall, 251 Dundas Street at the Central Library. I have attached the rehearsal schedule again to this email; some dancers rehearse on Friday evening and some on Saturday morning. It is very important that the dancers attend their stage rehearsal time, both for their own benefit and that of their classmates who otherwise have to ‘imagine’ them in their spots. Please note the arrival time listed for your dancer’s stage rehearsal. For the parents of dancers who are rehearsing in the last block on the Friday night, please ensure someone has arrived to pick up by 8:45 pm. We need to vacate the facility at that time, and there is no place for the dancers to wait for a late pick up. We do not allow dancers to wait outside on Dundas Street for rides. Thank you for your help with this!
Show times on Saturday, December 14th are at 1:00 pm & 4:30 pm. Please check the attached show assignment list if you are unsure if your dancer performs in one show or both shows.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Winterlude:
1. Please don’t miss any classes between now at the shows. This is the time where all of the teachers are polishing their dances for the show. The studio is CLOSED on Friday and Saturday this week, since we will be at the theatre.
2. The shows are approximately 1 hour 40 minutes in length each.
3. Please ensure your dancers are signed in at the theatre 30 minutes prior to show time.
4. Dancers who rehearse on Saturday morning, who also perform in the 1 pm show, do not have to be picked up between the rehearsal and the show, but they do have to bring a lunch to eat.
5. Dancers who perform in both shows may stay at the theatre with us between shows also, however please pack a dinner for them to eat.
6. For dancers who are involved in the Saturday morning rehearsal, AND Show A, AND Show B, we would recommend that you DO pick up your dancer during at least one of the breaks, to give them a change of scenery for an hour.
7. All dancers wear their set classroom uniform as a base for all dances in Winterlude, and their hair in a proper, dancers bun. This is true for ballet, jazz, tap, modern & hip hop students. (No idea what a dancers bun is? You can check out a terrific video on making a dancers bun online at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urVPCuuEYj8. We have a limited supply of bun making kits available at the office for only $4, HST included, which includes all of the supplies you need to make a proper bun for the show!
There are some classes that we have also asked to bring and wear something in addition to their classroom uniform. They are listed below:
• Grade 2 Jazz – Black tights under your black dance shorts
• Grade 2 Ballet – Character skirt
• Grade 2-5 Tap – Black tights under your black dance shorts (if your tap shoes have elastics & ribbons, please remove the ribbons. If you only have ribbons, please ensure they are tied in a double knot for the show!)
• Grade 3-IF Hip Hop – Pajamas
• Grade 3 & 4 Jazz – Black tights under your black dance shorts
• Grade 4 & 5 Modern – Ballet pink footless tights under your black dance shorts
• Grade 5 Ballet – Character skirt
• Grade 5/IF Jazz – Black tights under your black dance shorts
• IF & Grade 6 Modern – Ballet pink footless tights under your black dance shorts
• Grade 6 Jazz – Scarf, mittens, hat/ear muffs/headband, nude tights under your black dance shorts
• Grade 6 Ballet – Character skirts
• Grade 6 – Advanced Hip Hop – Black leggings, black and green shirts, black hat
• Grade 6 & Advanced Lyrical – White tops & nude tights under your black dance shorts
• Advanced Jazz – Nude tights under your black dance shorts
• Teen Jazz – Black tights under your black dance shorts
For all other classes not listed, there is nothing extra you have to bring besides your classroom uniform, and we will add accessories to all classes from our ‘costume closet’ backstage.
8. Backstage space is at a premium during the shows, so please send only those items that are absolutely necessary with your dancer. The little ones should ARRIVE wearing their classroom uniform, and not bring extra layers, including jackets and footwear, backstage. Any food packed for snacks or meals must be peanut-free and NOT MESSY! We don’t want any accidents happening to a dancer’s outfit before going onstage. Please do not send makeup backstage with your child for the same reason.
9. There is underground parking available at Citi Plaza, and the parking entrance which will bring you closest to the theatre is the one directly off of King Street, just east of Clarence Street. If you bring your parking stub into the service desk at the Central Library, they will validate it for 2 free hours of parking if you have a library card. The service desk is only open until 6 pm on Fridays and 5 pm on Saturdays, so be sure to validate before they close.
10. Please note that personal video recording (and photography) is not permitted inside the theatre. We thank you in advance for adhering to this policy, which allows all members of our audience to enjoy the show. We receive complaints every year from parents who find it both distracting and inconsiderate when people try to take their own personal videos. We hire a professional company to videotape our shows, and the DVDs are available by pre-paid order. DVD order forms have been handed out in all classes and there are extras available in the lobby at the studio. If you are interested in purchasing a professional DVD of the show, please return your form by Thursday, December 12th.
Don’t forget that after Winterlude, there is still one more week of regular classes at the studio before we close for our two-week break over Christmas & New Years!
Thanks everyone for taking the time to review these important points. We look forward to seeing you at the shows!