It’s the most wonderful time of the year…
It’s hard to believe that we have less than 4 days until our Winterlude shows at the Wolf Performance Hall this Saturday and tickets are already more than 81% sold out! If you haven’t purchased your tickets yet, I strongly recommend that you purchase them in advance, via the Grand Theatre Box Office in person, by phone at 519-672-8800, or online at www.grandtheatre.com There is no limit on the number of tickets purchased per family, and you are welcome to invite your extended family and friends to share in your dancer’s accomplishments! Tickets have sold out in previous years.
Please take a few minutes to read though the important reminders listed below, so that all of the dancers (and parents) can relax and enjoy this special event in your dancer’s life!
All of the stage rehearsals and shows take place at the Wolf Performance Hall, 251 Dundas Street at the Central Library. I have attached the rehearsal schedule again to this email; some dancers rehearse on Friday evening and some on Saturday morning. It is very important that the dancers attend their stage rehearsal time, both for their own benefit and that of their classmates who otherwise have to ‘imagine’ them in their spots. Please note the arrival time listed for your dancer’s stage rehearsal. All of our dress rehearsals are closed rehearsals, which means parents wait outside of the theatre. Faculty, staff, and parent volunteers will all be wearing badges for easy identification inside and around the theatre. Parents will sign in their dancer(s) at the sign in desk, just outside the theatre entrance, and the dancers will be brought inside the theatre by our faculty, staff and parent volunteers.
For the parents of older dancers who are rehearsing in the last block on the Friday night, please ensure someone has arrived to pick up by 8:45 pm. We need to vacate the facility at that time, and there is no place for the dancers to wait for a late pick up. We do not allow dancers to wait outside on Dundas Street for rides. Thank you for your help with this!
Show times on Saturday, December 6th are at 12:30 pm & 4:30 pm. Please check the attached show assignment list if you are unsure if your dancer performs in one show or both shows.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Winterlude:
1. Please don’t miss any classes between now at the shows. This is the time where all of the teachers are polishing their dances for the show. The studio is CLOSED on Friday and Saturday this week, since we will be at the theatre.
2. The shows are approximately 1 hour 35 minutes in length each.
3. Please ensure your dancers are signed in at the theatre at 11:55 am for the 12:30 pm show & 3:45 pm for the 4:30 pm show.
4. Dancers in Rehearsal Block 4 (Saturday 10 am – 11:40 am) who are marked with an asterisk on the rehearsal schedule are performing in the 12:30 pm show. Please do not pick up these dancers after rehearsal, as they will head backstage right after rehearsal to prepare for the show. Please ensure you send these dancers with a water bottle and a light & non-messy lunch to eat backstage before the show.
5. We encourage parents of dancers who perform in both shows to pick up their children in between shows and take them out for a bite to eat. They will welcome the change of scenery in their busy day.
6. All dancers wear their set classroom uniform as a base for all dances in Winterlude, and their hair in a proper, dancers bun. This is true for ballet, jazz, tap, modern & hip hop students. (No idea what a dancers bun is? You can check out a terrific video on making a dancers bun online at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urVPCuuEYj8 We have a limited supply of bun making kits available at the office for only $4, HST included, which includes all of the supplies you need to make a proper bun for the show. Want to confirm what we mean by your dancer’s “set classroom uniform”? Our uniform is available on our website at http://www.northlondondancecentre.ca/about-us/new-set-uniform-requirements/ For dancers who wear tights, please ensure tights are the proper dance tights, in the correct colour (as identified in the set uniform) and are in good condition (no holes). Fashion tights are not acceptable.
There are some classes that we have also asked to bring & wear something in addition to their classroom uniform. They are listed below:
Grade 2 & 3 Ballet – Character Skirt (not character shoes)
Grade 3-5 Hip Hop – Simple clothing they can dance in, as if they are going to school, and bring an empty backpack to wear as a prop for the dance.
Boys Hip Hop & Breakdance – Black sweatpants or track pants
Grade 6-8 Hip Hop – Black leggings with Christmas sweaters
Grade 6-8 Jazz/Lyrical – Frozen shirts
For all other classes not listed, there is nothing extra you have to bring besides your classroom uniform, and we will add accessories to all classes from our ‘costume closet’ backstage.
7. Backstage space is at a premium during the shows, so please send only those items that are absolutely necessary with your dancer. The little ones should ARRIVE wearing their classroom uniform, and not bring extra layers, including jackets and footwear, backstage. We ask that parents hold onto these items for your children. Any food packed for snacks or meals must be peanut-free and NOT MESSY! We don’t want any accidents happening to a dancer’s outfit before going onstage. Please do not send makeup backstage with your child for the same reason.
8. There is underground parking available at Citi Plaza, and the parking entrance which will bring you closest to the theatre is the one directly off of King Street, just east of Clarence Street. If you bring your parking stub into the service desk at the Central Library, they will validate it for 2 free hours of parking if you show a library card. The service desk is only open until 6 pm on Fridays and 5 pm on Saturdays, so be sure to validate before they close.
9. Please note that personal video recording (and photography) is not permitted inside the theatre. We thank you in advance for adhering to this policy, which allows all members of our audience to enjoy the show. We receive complaints every year from parents who find it both distracting and inconsiderate when people try to take their own personal videos. We hire a professional company to videotape our shows, and the DVDs are available by pre-paid order. DVD order forms have been emailed out and there are extras available in the lobby at the studio. If you are interested in purchasing a professional DVD of the show, please return your form bySaturday, December 13th.
Don’t forget that after Winterlude, regular classes continue at the studio up to and including Friday, December 19th. We close over the holidays until January 4th, our first day back to regular classes in the New Year.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to review these important points. We look forward to seeing you at the shows! Dance recitals are an exciting time for all dancers. Try to relax and enjoy this special event in your dancer’s life! A little extra sleep the week leading up to the shows will go a long way in ensuring that your dancer is ready to give 100% over the weekend.