It’s hard to believe that we have only 5 days until our RECITAL shows at the Paul Davenport Theatre this Saturday and tickets are already more than 69% sold out overall! If you haven’t purchased your tickets yet, I strongly recommend that you purchase them in advance online at www.onstagedirect.com/northlondon There is no limit on the number of tickets purchased per family, and you are welcome to invite your extended family and friends to share in your dancer’s accomplishments! We highly recommend that you purchase your tickets in advance. Tickets have sold out in previous years. Dancers performing in the show do not require a ticket because they will be backstage for the duration of the show.
PLEASE take a few minutes to read through the important reminders listed below, so that all of the dancers (and parents) can relax and enjoy this special event in your dancer’s life!
WHERE AM I GOING?
Our Leaping Through The Library shows AND rehearsals will be held at the Paul Davenport Theatre at UWO. I have attached a map showing the route from the studio to the theatre – it is a 10 minute drive down Sarnia Road (heading East) then taking a right turn onto Lambton. From there, Talbot College (which houses the Paul Davenport Theatre) is on your left & a parking lot on your right.
DRESS REHEARSALS – THURSDAY & FRIDAY
Attached to this email is the dress rehearsal schedule for THURSDAY AND FRIDAY this week, which indicates when your dancer’s class(es) rehearse on stage, at the Davenport Theatre with their classmates. Each class has been allocated a time slot when they will be able to rehearse their piece on stage, and an ARRIVAL TIME and PICK UP TIME has been specified for each rehearsal block. Some classes rehearse on the evening of Thursday, June 9th and some on Friday, June 10th. Please check the schedule carefully. It is very important that the dancers attend their stage rehearsal time, both for their own benefit and that of their classmates who otherwise have to ‘imagine’ them in their spots. Please note the arrival time listed for your dancer’s stage rehearsal. All of our dress rehearsals are closed rehearsals, which means parents wait outside of the theatre. Faculty, staff, and parent volunteers will all be wearing badges for easy identification inside and around the theatre. Parents will sign in their dancer(s) at the sign in desk, just outside the backstage entrance, and the dancers will be brought inside the theatre by our faculty, staff and parent volunteers.
Dancers should wear their recital costume to the rehearsal and the show(s) unless otherwise instructed by their teacher, with their hair in a dancer’s bun. Don’t have the ‘stuff’ to make a bun? Kits are available at the studio front desk for $4. Don’t know how to make a bun? Watch this great how to video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxqVer7WAUU For dancers who wear tights, please ensure tights are proper dance tights, in the correct colour, and are in good condition (no holes). Fashion tights are not acceptable. EVERYTHING YOUR DANCER BRINGS TO THE THEATRE SHOULD HAVE THEIR NAME ON IT… E V E R Y T H I N G! Our rehearsals are all closed rehearsals, which means that parents are not permitted to watch. We have staff on site to supervise all of the dancers while backstage at the theatre.
There will be no regular classes at the studio on Thursday, June 9th OR Friday, June 10th, or Saturday, June 11th.
SHOW DAY – SATURDAY
Don’t forget that we have THREE recital shows on Saturday, June 11th: 10:30 am, 1:00 pm and 4:30 pm. Some classes perform in one show, some in two shows, and a small number in all three shows so please ensure you know which show(s) your dancer(s) are scheduled to perform in. Dancers should arrive at the show WEARING the costume for their first dance. You can refer to the attached SHOW ORDERS for each show to see which dance your child has first.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about recital:
- The shows are approximately 1.5 to 1.75 hours in length each.
- Please have dancers arrive 35 minutes BEFORE show time to sign in, and get settled backstage.
- If your dancer performs in BOTH SHOW A & B, please DO NOTpick up these dancers in between shows, as there is only 15 minutes between the end of SHOW A and the arrival time for SHOW B. Please ensure you send these dancers with a water bottle and a light & non-messy lunch to eat backstage before the show. If your dancer performs in BOTH SHOW B & C, there is an hour between SHOW B and C so please DOpick up your dancer in between to take them out for a bite to eat. They will welcome the change of scenery in their busy day.
- Backstage space is at a premium during the shows, so please send only those items that are absolutely necessary with your dancer. The little ones should ARRIVE wearing their costume, and not bring extra layers, including jackets and footwear, backstage. We ask that parents hold onto these items for your children. Any food packed for snacks or meals must be peanut-free and NOT MESSY! We also have a dancer with an allergy to raw carrots. We don’t want any accidents happening to a dancer’s outfit before going onstage. Please do not send makeup backstage with your child for the same reason.
- Please note that personal video recording (and photography) is not permitted inside the theatre. We thank you in advance for adhering to this policy, which allows all members of our audience to enjoy the show. We receive complaints every year from parents who find it both distracting and inconsiderate when people try to take their own personal videos. We hire a professional company to videotape our shows, and the DVDs are available by pre-paid order. DVD order forms have been handed out and there are extras available in the lobby at the studio. If you are interested in purchasing a professional DVD of the show, please return your form by Monday, June 13th.
Finally, one random point – we have heard from several parents that lice have been going around. PLEASE remind your dancer NOT to share brushes or hair supplies with anyone. Please take a few minutes to check your dancer ASAP and treat if necessary.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to review these important points. We look forward to seeing you at the shows! Dance recitals are an exciting time for all dancers. Try to relax and enjoy this special event in your dancer’s life! A little extra sleep the week leading up to the shows will go a long way in ensuring that your dancer is ready to give 100% over the weekend.