IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Sun. Nov. 24 – Hyde Park Santa Claus Parade Rehearsal 11 am – 1 pm
- Sat. Nov. 30 – Hyde Park Santa Claus Parade 10 am
- Thurs. Dec. 5 – 2nd Tuition Instalments Due
- Thurs. Dec. 12 – Winterlude DVD Orders Due
- Fri. Dec. 13 – Winterlude Rehearsals at the Wolf Performance Hall (no regular classes at the studio)
- Sat. Dec. 14 – Winterlude Rehearsals & Shows at the Wolf Performance Hall (no regular classes at the studio)
- Dec. 16-21 – Regular classes at the studio
- Dec. 22 – Jan. 4 – Closed for the Holiday Break
- Wed. Jan. 15 – Recital Costume Fees Due
- Mon. Feb. 17 – Closed for Family Day
- March 9-15 – Closed for March Break
- March 23-29 – Parent Viewing Week
- Fri. Apr. 18 – Closed for Good Friday
- Mon. Apr. 21 – Closed for Easter Monday
- Mon. May 19 – Closed for Victoria Day
- Sat. May 31 & Sun. Jun. 1 – Recital Costume Photos at the Studio
- Mon. Jun. 9 – Last day of regular classes at the studio
- Fri. Jun. 13 – Recital Stage Rehearsals at the Wolf Performance Hall (no regular classes at the studio)
- Sat. Jun. 14 – Recital Stage Rehearsals & Shows at the Wolf Performance Hall (no regular classes at the studio)
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
Hyde Park Santa Claus Parade
Come out to cheer on 36 of our dancers performing in the Hyde Park Santa Claus Parade on Saturday, November 30th at 10 am. The Parade begins at Sherwood Forest Mall and travels west on Gainsborough ending just a tad west of Hyde Park Road.
Tuition – 2nd Installments Due
For those families to have elected to pay on a two installment plan for their dancer’s tuition, a friendly reminder that 2nd installments are due by December 5th, 2013.
Winterlude Demonstration Shows
Only 3 weeks to go until our Winterlude demonstration shows, on Saturday, December 14th, at the Wolf Performance Hall, 251 Dundas Street at the Central Library. Dress rehearsals will be held at the Wolf Performance Hall on both Friday, December 13th and the morning of Saturday, December 14th. Detailed schedules have been provided to all students which indicate each class’s rehearsal slot, as well as which show(s) they will be performing in. Show times on December 14th are at 1:00 pm & 4:30 pm. Most classes perform in only one show, however some classes perform in both shows to accommodate our families with multiple children dancing at our school… did you know we have 57 siblings at our school?
For the parents of dancers who are rehearsing in the last block on the Friday night, please ensure someone has arrived to pick up at 8:45 pm. We need to vacate the facility at that time, and there is nowhere for the dancers to wait for a late pick up. We do not allow dancers to wait outside on Dundas Street for rides. Thank you for your help with this!
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Winterlude:
1. Please don’t miss any classes between now at the shows. This is the time where all of the teachers are finishing and polishing their dances for the show.
2. The shows are approximately 1 hour 40 minutes in length each.
3. Please ensure your dancers are signed in at the theatre 30 minutes prior to show time.
4. Dancers who rehearse on Saturday morning, who also perform in the 1 pm show, do not have to be picked up between the rehearsal and the show, but they do have to bring a lunch to eat.
5. Dancers who perform in both shows may stay at the theatre with us between shows also, however please pack a dinner for them to eat.
6. For dancers who are involved in the Saturday morning rehearsal, AND Show A, AND Show B, we would recommend that you DO pick up your dancer during at least one of the breaks, to give them a change of scenery for an hour.
7. All dancers wear their classroom uniform as a base for all dances in Winterlude, and their hair in a proper, dancers bun. This is true for ballet, jazz, tap, modern & hip hop students. (No idea what a dancers bun is? You can check out a terrific video on making a dancers bun online at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urVPCuuEYj8 and starting next week, we have a limited supply of bun making kits available at the office for only $4, HST included which includes all of the supplies you need to make a proper bun for the show!)
8. Backstage space is at a premium during the shows, so please send only those items that are absolutely necessary with your dancer. The little ones should ARRIVE wearing their classroom uniform, and not bring extra layers, including jackets and footwear, backstage. Any food packed for snacks or meals must be peanut-free and NOT MESSY! We don’t want any accidents happening to a dancer’s outfit before going onstage. Please do not send makeup backstage with your child for the same reason.
9. There is underground parking available at Citi Plaza, and the parking entrance which will bring you closest to the theatre is the one directly off of King Street, just east of Clarence Street. If you bring your parking stub into the service desk at the Central Library, they will validate it for 2 free hours of parking if you have a library card. The service desk is only open until 6 pm on Fridays and 5 pm on Saturdays, so be sure to validate before they close. Tickets for the show are now on sale via the Grand Theatre Box Office in person, by phone at 519-672-8800, and online at www.grandtheatre.com. There is no limit on the number of tickets purchased per family, and you are welcome to invite your extended family and friends to share in your dancer’s accomplishments! We highly recommend that you purchase your tickets in advance. Tickets have sold out in previous years and are already over 40% sold out for this year.
Dance recitals are an exciting time for all dancers. Try to relax and enjoy this special event in your dancer’s life! A little extra sleep the week leading up to the shows will go a long way in ensuring that your dancer is ready to give 100% over the weekend. Don’t forget that after Winterlude, there is still one more week of regular classes at the studio before we close for our two-week break over Christmas & New Years.
Winterlude DVD Orders
We have started handing out DVD order forms in all classes this week. If you are interested in purchasing a professional DVD of the show, please return your form by December 12th.
Buns for Ballet Class
It is a long-standing tradition to see ballerinas with their hair gathered into a secure and neat bun, but there is more than just tradition to this elegant hairstyle. The most basic purpose of the bun is to keep hair from whipping the face during turns. In addition, ballet class requires that students focus on many different aspects of their developing technique and therefore they cannot be distracted by loose hair falling down or getting in their face. It is also highly distracting to other students when another dancer holds up a combination to fix their hair. Dancers (or their parents for the little ones) are responsible for putting their hair in a secure bun prior to class. This will ensure that students are not wasting valuable class time fixing their hair, and they can concentrate on what is most important in class – learning and developing a love for dance! Buns are mandatory for all ballet students at North London Dance Centre. Ponytails may only be worn in class for the other styles of dance we offer: jazz, tap, modern & hip hop.
Class Cancellation Policy
Now that the winter-like weather has arrived, we would like to remind everyone of our cancellation policy: Classes run as usual, UNLESS the London Transit Commission pulls the buses off the road. The LTC announces service cancellations on the radio as well as on-line. In the case of a studio closure, we would also communicate to parents via email and all of our social media feeds including Twitter, Google+ & Facebook. In any situation of inclement weather, the final decision always rests with parents in regards to whether they feel comfortable in driving to the studio or not. Drive safe!
Please consider liking and following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ if you use any of these methods of communication. Links to all of our accounts are available in the header of our website, on the right hand side: http://www.northlondondancecentre.ca
Congratulations to one of our former ballet students, Zoë Brown, who is currently performing in the children’s chorus in The Grand Theatre’s production of Elf. Elf runs until January 4th, and is festive fun for the whole family. Tickets are still available www.grandtheatre.com.
Luis Espinoza, who teaches our Grade 6-Advanced Hip Hop class, will be taking over Jordan’s Friday classes for the remainder of the year. Luis is an amazing hip hop and break dancer who teaches and performs throughout Ontario, New York, Michigan and Quebec with Canadian breakdance crew, Ill at Will.
Kelly Hajar, Director