IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Oct 23 – Strengthening & Prevention Workshop
- Oct 23 – Sat. Oct 29 – Parent Viewing Week
- Oct 28 – PA Day Dance Camp – Ages 4-10
- Oct 31 – Closed for Halloween
- Nov 10 – Winterlude Tickets Go On Sale
- Nov 18 – PA Day Dance Camp – Ages 4-10
- Nov 18 – Hyde Park Parade Rehearsal – 7:30-9 pm
- Nov 26 – Hyde Park Santa Claus Parade – 10 am
- Dec 5 – All 2nd Instalment Tuition Payments Due
- Dec 8 & Fri Dec. 9 – Winterlude Rehearsals at the Wolf Performance Hall (no classes at the studio)
- Dec 10 –Winterlude Shows at the Wolf Performance Hall: 10 am, 1 pm & 4:30 pm
- Dec 12 – Horizon Retirement Living Show – 6 pm
- Dec 17 – Mon. Jan 2 – Studio Closed – Holidays
- Jan 3 – Studio Opens – 1st day of 2nd term classes
- Jan 7 – June Recital Costume Fees Due ($75/dance)
- Feb 20 – Studio Closed for Family Day
- Mar 4 – Fri. Mar 10 – Parent Viewing Week #2
- Mar 11 – Sat. Mar 18 – Studio Closed – March Break
- Apr 14 – Studio Closed – Good Friday
- Apr 16 – Studio Closed – Easter Sunday
- Apr 17 – Studio Closed – Easter Monday
- May 11 – Recital Tickets ON SALE
- May 22 – Studio Closed – Victoria Day
- Jun 7 – Last day of regular classes at the studio
- Jun 8 & Fri. Jun 9 – Recital Stage Rehearsals at the Paul Davenport Theatre, UWO
- Jun 10 – Recital Shows at the Paul Davenport Theatre, UWO
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
Pizza & Movie Night
Our annual Pizza, Popcorn & Movie Night at the studio last night was a big success! We had 30 dancers in attendance, raising both money and food for the London Food Bank.
Core Strengthening Workshop
We are hosting a Core Strengthening & Injury Prevention Workshop at the studio TODAY Sunday, October 23rd – 1:00-1:45 pm with Dr. Rebecca Slota. This event is FREE for ALL NLDC Students ages 10-19.
Parent Viewing Week
Our first parent viewing week of the season starts TODAY Sunday, October 23 – Saturday, October 29. We would love for each dancer to have at least one parent to attend their class(es) during this special week. Please limit attendees to two guests so that there is enough room for everyone. Please remember that having an audience in the studio can be daunting for dancers of any age, so please be encouraging to all students throughout the viewing; a smile goes a long way! Please show your dancer your support by not checking emails/texts, taking calls, or whispering to other parents during this special class. Parents are welcome to take photos during this special class. Please share any good ones with us J
PA Day Dance Camps – Oct & Nov
What is your dancer between the ages of 4-10 doing for the upcoming PA Day on Friday, October 28th? Come Monster Mash with us! We are running a fun, HALLOWEEN themed day of dance camp! Registration is now open for the Friday, November 18th PA Day as well, where the dancers will go on an UNDER THE SEA themed adventure.
- Half Days (9 am-12 pm) $28 HST Included
- Full Days (9 am – 4 pm) $41 HST Included
Hyde Park Santa Claus Parade
On Saturday, November 26 at 10 am NLDC will be participating in the Hyde Park Santa Claus Parade! Dancers in any of our Level 1 to 9 dance classes are invited and encouraged to DANCE with us in the parade. Primary Level Dancers are invited to WALK behind the older levels with a parent. Level 1 to 9 dancers need to learn a short piece of choreography to perform on the parade route at a studio rehearsal on Friday, November 18th from 7:30-9:00 pm (Level 1&2 dancers can leave at 8:30 pm). The only cost to participate is for a long-sleeved red NLDC shirt, which is $27, HST included, if they don’t have one from participating last year that still fits. Sign up by email or at the front desk; we already have 24 dancers registered! Out of respect for our faculty, if your dancer has their own regular dance classes on Saturday mornings between the hours of 9-11:45 am, they are not eligible to sign up for the parade. We don’t want anyone missing their own class to participate in the parade since our Winterlude showcase is only two weeks later.
Tuition – 2nd Installments Due
For those families who have elected to pay on a two installment plan this year for tuition, a friendly reminder that 2nd installment is due BY Monday, December 5th.
We encourage all of our parents and students who have social media accounts to like us/follow us on our Facebook and Twitter accounts: @NLondonDance We use these avenues to post reminders of important upcoming dates as well as studio info. In case of any inclement weather closures, we would also post this information here first.
Winterlude Demonstration Shows
Only 7 weeks to go until our Winterlude demonstration shows! This year’s Winterlude shows will be held Saturday, December 10th, at the Wolf Performance Hall, 251 Dundas Street at the Central Library. Dress rehearsals will be held at the Wolf Performance Hall on both Thursday, December 8 and Friday, December 9th. Detailed schedules will be provided to all students by email by the end of October, which indicate each class’s rehearsal slot, as well as which show(s) they will be performing in. Show times on December 10th are at 10:00 am, 1:00 pm & 4:30 pm. Most classes perform in only one show; however some classes perform in two or three shows. If your dancer will NOT be participating in our Winterlude show, kindly let us know. After Parent Viewing Week next week, we will turn our studio lobby video monitors OFF to keep the student’s Winterlude dances a SURPRISE for the show!
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Winterlude:
- Please try not to miss any classes leading up to shows. During November and early December all of the teachers are creating their dances for the show. Dancers who miss 50% or more of the last 10 classes, or the last 2 classes leading up to Winterlude, will not be eligible to perform onstage with their class.
- Dancers who perform in both shows A & B (10 am & 1 pm) on Saturday DO NOT get picked up between shows, but they do have to bring a lunch to eat backstage. Dancers who perform in both show B & C (1 pm & 4:30 pm) on Saturday DO need to be picked up in between.
- All dancers wear their classroom uniform as a base for all dances in Winterlude, and their hair in a proper, dancers bun. This is true for ballet, jazz, tap, modern & hip hop students. (No idea what a dancers bun is? Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMj_eaRML1w We have a limited supply of bun making kits available at the office for only $4, HST included.
- Backstage space is at a premium during the shows, so please send only those items that are absolutely necessary with your dancer. The little ones should ARRIVE wearing their classroom uniform, and not bring extra layers, including jackets and footwear, backstage.
- There is underground parking available at Citi Plaza, and the parking entrance which will bring you closest to the theatre is the one directly off of King Street, just east of Clarence Street. The service desk at the Central Library, will validate for 2 free hours of parking if you have a library card.
- Tickets for the show will be available via http://www.onstagedirect.com/northlondon beginning November 10. There is no limit on the number of tickets purchased per family, and you are welcome to invite your extended family and friends to share in your dancer’s accomplishments! We highly recommend that you purchase your tickets in advance. Tickets have sold out in previous years.
- We arrange for Winterlude to be professionally videotaped. DVD order forms will be handed out in classes in November. Order forms are due to no later than Monday, December 12. Personal video recording (and photography) is not permitted in the theatre.
Dance recitals are an exciting time for all dancers. Try to relax and enjoy this special event in your dancer’s life! Don’t forget that after Winterlude, there are still 6 more days of regular classes before we close for the holidays on Saturday, December 17th.
Congratulations to our hip hop teacher Luis for graduating from UWO recently with a Bachelor of Arts with an Honours Specialization in English.
Kelly Hajar, Director